GOVERNMENT SPONSORED COMPETITIONS
National Science Foundation (NSF)
The National Science Foundation has competitions that focus on K-12 STEM education and outreach.
- NSF 2012 Upcoming funding opportunities (spreadsheet): Descriptions and due dates for proposals
- Examples of NSF K-12 programs:
- NSF Research Experiences for Teachers (RET): A program where engineering researchers and teachers collaborate in research and K-12 curriculum development
- NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU): A program where students from other colleges and universities join the university for summer research experiences
- NSF Graduate Students in K-12 (G K-12): A program where graduate students participate in K-12 classroom in various capacities
- NSF Discovery Research in K-12 (DR K-12): A program where engineering and education faculty assist K-12 educators in improving STEM education
- NSF Math Science Partnership (MSP): A program where universities and school districts collaborate in research and improvement of K-12 STEM achievement
- NSF Innovative Technology Experience for Students (ITEST): A program where universities and K-12 schools collaborate in using innovative technology in K-12 classrooms.
Nation Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Nasa Education has many programs that are currently exempt from budget cuts.
Department of Defense (DoD)
The Department of Defense has competitions that focus on K-12 STEM education and community outreach.
- DoD 2012 Upcoming funding opportunities (spreadsheet): Descriptions and due dates for proposals
- Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP)
- Army Research Lab (K-8 Programs, 9-12 Programs)
- DARPA CS-STEM
- NASA Education Opportunities (Planned funding for 2013. Might require use of NASA data/capabilities.)
- National Defense Education Program (NDEP)
- Navy STEM2Stern
Department of Education (Ed) and Institute of Education Sciences (IES)
The Department of Education and Institute of Education Sciences (IES) have competitions that focus on K-12 education and research.