Early Admittance Fee: $5,100 (deadline for all materials to be received is 03/01/21)
Regular Admittance Fee: $5,250 (deadline for all materials to be received is 04/23/21)
Application fee: $35
These fees cover:
- Ph.D. student or postdoctoral scholar contracted to mentor each SHINE student for 20 hours/week for seven weeks;
- All trainings, including Friday sessions with all students, presentations by professors and/or Ph.D. students, MATLAB and other trainings by professors, scholarly literature search sessions and annotated bibliography activities by professors; college admission sessions, etc.
- All lab safety trainings, any lab materials mailed to the home, and Friday workshop materials;
- Regular check-ins with SHINE staff; special mentorship for first-generation students or others seeking guidance;
- Family days at Orientation and culminating Poster Session;
- All administration between SHINE families and professors, mentors, K-12 STEM Center staff, USC Youth Protection and Programming, USC Viterbi Admissions, etc.
How do I apply for scholarships?
The mission of the USC Viterbi's K-12 STEM Center is to help under-resourced students, teachers, and schools to have STEM experiences that impact STEM identity; we also support inclusion and diversity within each SHINE cohort. Consequently, we make a limited number of SHINE scholarships (some partial, some full) available to students who qualify for both financial need and academic readiness for research. Scholarship applications will be given preference when submitted by the early March 1, 2021, application deadline; if funds permit, scholarships will be considered at the regular application deadline of April 23, 2021, but families in need should strive to make the early bird deadline of 2/17/20.
Financial need is established by submitted documentation of Title 1 status for public school students and a principal's signed letter of financial need for private school students. Final acceptance of all students, regardless of scholarship status, depends upon the professor. Questions about scholarships can be sent to k12STEM1@usc.edu
Admitted students will need to submit the non-refundable payments:
- By date specified in offer letter: $1,500 deposit
- By date specified in offer letter: $3,600 or $3,750 balance (for early or regular decision applicants)
Or: Pay the full amount when you accept our offer letter.
Methods of Payment:
- To pay by credit card, please visit our secure payment portal.
- Don't forget to select the correct option in the "Payment Description" section as well as the "Amount" section. You may ignore both of the CVV2 fields, even though they are indicated to be mandatory.
- If you have any technical difficulties with the portal, please call 213-740-6230 and ask for Leticia or Emily to pay by credit card.
- Because all staff are working remotely during COVID, we prefer electronic payment of fees; however, if you need to pay by check, please contact us at K12STEM1@usc.edu to proceed.